Sturgeon Season is the 1st episode of NCIS Season 18 and also the 399th episode of the entire NCIS series.
As Gibbs and Fornell attempt to track down the leader of a drug ring who supplied drugs to Fornell's daughter, the rest of the NCIS team deals with the case of a missing cadaver from the NCIS autopsy room.
- Gibbs ends up sniping McGee in the leg and arm on March 2020 at the beginning of the episode for reasons unclear outside of it involving tailing a jet.
- Flashing back to November 2019, Tobias and Gibbs were trying to illicitly track down the leader of the drug ring that nearly killed the former's daughter, with Tobias still struggling with his emotions regarding her near overdose, although Tobias ultimately was forced to go his separate ways from Gibbs.
- Tobias eventually tracked down the middleman to an alley, only to find him dead, and also uncovered a medallion from his person after contacting Gibbs and the police (the latter anonymously), intending to investigate a potential lead that he estimated will take him about two weeks.
- A cadaver for a deceased, slightly insane former officer was stolen from the morgue, with it eventually being revealed that Agent Tyler was forced to steal the cadaver due to her daughter being abducted and held hostage.
- Palmer ended up narrowly surviving a car bomb shortly after the concert recital from Musical Chairs (episode).
- The title of the episode is a reference to the official reason for Gibbs' abrupt departure during the events of Musical Chairs (episode).
|Leroy Jethro Gibbs||Mark Harmon||Special Agent in charge of the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Timothy McGee||Sean Murray||Senior Special Agent and second-in command of the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Eleanor Bishop||Emily Wickersham||Special Agent for the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Nicholas Torres||Wilmer Valderrama||Special Agent for the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Jacqueline Sloane||Maria Bello||NCIS Forensic Psychologist.|
|James Palmer||Brian Dietzen||Chief Medical Examiner for the Major Case Response Team.|
|Kasie Hines||Diona Reasonover||NCIS Forensic Specialist.|
|Leon Vance||Rocky Carroll||Director of NCIS|
|Donald Mallard||David McCallum||NCIS Historian. Despite being credited, McCallum doesn't appear in this episode.|
|Tobias Fornell||Joe Spano||Former FBI agent who is now a private investigator.|
|Veronica "Ronnie" Tyler||Victoria Platt||NCIS Special Agent.|
|Arda Dogan||Brian Stepanek||A.K.A. Karl Chunk. Former Turkish soldier and kidnapper.|
|Gila Shaw||Wendy Worthington|
|Mary Tyler||Shirley Jordan||Tyler's mother.|
|Jasmine Tyler||Sade Devine||Tyler's daughter.|