Tony and Ziva first met shortly after the death of NCIS Special Agent, Caitlin Todd and was later selected her replacement, becoming the Mossad Liaison to NCIS. Tony and Ziva constantly banter and bicker throughout the series, but develop a strong and close relationship and partnership. Tony and Ziva develop romantic feelings for each other, becoming clear to their friends, but never act on their feelings, despite their undeniable chemistry. Following the death of her father and seeking vengeance against his killer, Ziva resigns from NCIS to protect Gibbs alongside Tony and McGee and returns to Islam. Tony begins searching for Ziva and after months is at last able to locate her and finally begins to act on his true feelings for her. However, despite their mutual feelings for each other, Ziva decides not to return with Tony, wanting to live a peaceful life.
Three years later, Ziva is presumably killed when her father's farmhouse is destroyed in a motor attack. Tony is devastated by the loss of Ziva, but is shocked to discover the existence of his and Ziva’s daughter, Tali David-DiNozzo. Following the discovery, Tony resigns from NCIS to become a full time father and moves to Paris with Tali, but still has doubts about Ziva’s supposed death. Tony begins to secretly investigate and discovers Ziva is alive, managing to locate her in Cairo and learns the truth that she is hiding and hunting a mysterious woman known as Sahar, who threatens her life. Tony and Ziva remain apart for another three years, but are eventually reunited for good when Sahar is killed, allowing Ziva to finally reunite with her family. Currently, Tony and Ziva are happily reunited and are raising Tali together in Paris.
Throughout their years on NCIS, both Tony and Ziva have expressed jealousy and uncertainty whenever they have encountered agents, victims, crooks etc who have expressed a romantic interest in them on various occasions.
Michael Rivkin was a corrupt Mossad Agent.
Ray Cruz was a CIA Agent.
Stanley Burley is an NCIS Special Agent afloat.
Jeanne Beniot was the daughter of the arms dealer, René Benoit.
E.J. Barrett was an NCIS Special Agent and leader of her own team.
Dana Hutton was a TV reporter and journalist.
Wendy Miller is an investigative journalist and Tony's ex-fiancée.
Ziva's star necklace was her most prize possession that she always wore and almost never took since her debut on NCIS which would later become a symbol for her and Tony's growing romantic relationship in later years following her departure. When Ziva, Tony and McGee resigned to protect Gibbs at the end of Season 10, Ziva left her necklace in Tony's care. In Season 11, when Ziva decided to leave NCIS for good, she refused when Tony tried to return her neckalce and decided to permanently leave it with Tony as a keepsake and remembrance of her. Ever since, Tony has cherished Ziva's necklace and kept it inside his desk for safe keeping. Three years after Ziva's departure, she is presumably killed in a motor attack at her father's farmhouse in Israel. Tony keeps her necklace on hand throughout the ordeal and following the discovery of his and Ziva's daughter, Tali David-DiNozzo, Tony passes the neckalce onto Tali.
- Tiva is is one of the most popular ships in the NCIS franchise alongside Densi, Neric, Slibbs, Ellick, Callanna and PerSalle.
- Tiva were the main couple on NCIS.
- Tiva shares several similarities with Densi.
- Both are the main couples of NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles respectively.
- Both couples are the most popular and favourite relationships in the franchise.
- Both of their romantic feelings were obvious to everyone.
- Tony and Ziva have a child while Deeks and Kensi are currently trying to get pregnant.
- Both couples got off to a rocky start when they first met.
- They are each other's partners.
- Ziva and Kensi both lost their fathers and managed to avenge their deaths.
- Tony and Deeks are the comic relief of their teams.
- Ziva and Deeks serve as liaisons to their teams. Ziva was formerly the Mossad liaison until she became an agent and Deeks is still currently the LAPD liaison.
- Both couples tend to playfully banter and bicker with each other.
- Except for Tony, almost all of their father’s are deceased.
- Both couples shared their first kisses while undercover as married couples.
- Ziva and Deeks replaced previous team members who died in the line of duty, NCIS Special Agents, Caitlin Todd and Dominic Vail.
- Tony and Kensi were both introduced in the back door pilots while Ziva and Deeks were later introduced in their main respective series.
- Excluding Ziva, almost all of them are only children with no siblings.
- Tony and Kensi are the most jealous when they see others expressing a romantic interest in Ziva and Deeks.
- Tony and Kensi were previously engaged before the start of their respective series to Wendy Miller and Jack Simon.
- Tony and Deeks rescued Ziva and Kensi after they were captured in Afghanistan and Somalia respectively.
- Ziva and Kensi built walls around themselves to avoid getting hurt until Tony and Deeks gradually brought them down and got closer with them throughout the series.
- Ziva left in Season 11 Episode 2: Past, Present, and Future and Tony left in Season 13 Episode 24: Family First.
- Tony and Ziva shared their first real kiss together in Ziva’s departure.
- Tony and Ziva finally and officially get together off-screen several years after their departures in Season 17.
- Tony was the first person to learn Ziva was alive sometime after he left NCIS.
- It's hinted that Ziva first began to realize her true romantic feelings for Tony when he and the team rescued her in Season 7 Episode 1: Truth or Consequences and is further hinted in Ziva’s journals in Season 16 Episode 13: She.
- Timothy McGee expressed his awareness of Tony and Ziva's romantic feelings and chemistry in his book, Deep Six where two of his characters, Tommy and Lisa are based off of Tony and Ziva and are also each other's romantic interests.
- Throughout the series, several people from friends and teammates to allies and enemies, including civilians realized the growing romance between Tony and Ziva. The people among them include, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Timothy McGee, Jimmy Palmer, Abby Sciuto, Ducky Mallard, Rachel Cranston, Tobias Fornell, Anthony DiNozzo Sr., Eli David, Stanley Burley, Michael Rivkin, Ray Cruz, Trent Kort, E.J. Barrett, Nick Burris and Len Feeney.